The Black Rhino is the SERE Instructor's Choice
Availability: TOPS Dealers
Find A Dealer
This tool is a very well thought out and executed piece of field equipment designed for entry and close combat situations. It's unique point configuration allows the tip to withstand strong sideways pressure. At 1/4" thick, it carries a lot of force for deep slashing cuts and powerful strikes and stabs. It has jimping in several places to give a solid purchase in a variety of tactical holds. All of these features make it ultra dependable and a real winner when you need to get in and back out again. And SERE instructors should know.
TOPS... Personal carry choice of select individuals.
|Knife Type||Fixed Blade|
|Blade Steel||1095 RC 56-58|
|Blade Finish||Black Traction Coating|
|Handle Material||Black Linen Micarta|
|Knife Weight||15 oz|
|Weight w/ Sheath||18.7oz|
|Sheath Material||Black Kydex|
|Sheath Clip||Rotating Spring Steel|
- I've been using the Black Rhino as me EDC for over 9 months now and I can find nothing bad to say about it. I use it around the ranch and while cutting trees. I've used it to process pigs, steers.and everything in between and it just works.I have used it to split the tops of fence posts for bard wire for temporary fixes of fences broken by smugglers and every other chore around the ranch. I've used it to remove small branches (about the size of a finger) with just one swipe while gaff climbing tree's to top them. Heck I have even used it as a wedge/pry bar while in tree's. It just works and does everything I need it to do. Mine does not have the Rocky Mountain Tread which would be really nice but it works just fine without it. Basically the Black Rhino is just a work horse. Mine did not come sharp so it did take a little work to get the edge to a working edge but once you get a good 25* edge on it, it holds it well. (Posted on 3/19/2019)
- LIVES UP TO ITS NAME
- This knife is a true Rhino. It has handled everything great as a camp knife super great sheath as well locks in strong but I wish it had a dangler option like the new Operator 7 I just ordered. (Posted on 7/9/2018)
- Tough SOB!
- This is one tough knife. Went camping and beat it through some logs to use as fire wood and could have shaved with it when I was done. The finish didn't even scratch. I'm gonna get in trouble on this site for ordering more knives. (Posted on 9/10/2017)
- Fantastic knife/ tool
- This knife is a beast. I bought some hockey grip tape and wrapped it from the 1st screw from the blade to the end of the butt like you would a hockey stick, leaving the pry bar free. It really gives the handle a nice grip. It really improved the feel and actually allows another 1 1/2"-2" of length as you can grab the end of the handle. Be aware that you must stay above that first screw to avoid contact with the kydex sheath. Try it! Its the nuts! (Posted on 1/11/2017)
- Great knife, bad handle
- I love the knife and have used it a lot since my purchase a couple months ago. The one thing I dislike is the ergonomics of the handle. It has no "grip" whatsoever and is hard to hold. There is no hand grip whatsoever , having an almost straight handle with no palm swell or end of handle swell to keep the knife firmly in your hand. (Posted on 4/8/2016)
- Beast of a knife
- This knife was my introduction to TOPS knifes. The design and craftsmanship on it is amazing. I haven't bought another larger fixed blade since. I use it primarily for backpacking and it' like having a hatchet and knife in one. My wife makes fun of me when I try and use it for a tool to do stuff around the house, cause I'm just looking for an excuse to take it out. (Posted on 7/18/2015)