Having a martial arts background, Joshua Swanagon has done some training with the karambit and is a fan of ring style knives and their prowess in combative applications. However, also being an avid outdoorsman, he has found them to be less than ideal as field utility blades. So he set out to make a knife that could combine those disciplines and decided to call it the C.U.T. 4.0 (Combat Utility Tool).
It is a combative, ring-knife with a utility style blade for field use. The curved handle and ring of a karambit provide superior comfort during combative use, and a traditional drop point blade profile is ideal in the field. The aggressive tip provides for maximum penetration during combat, allowing the C.U.T. 4.0 to penetrate body armor and heavy clothing much easier, while also being useful for drilling chores during fieldcraft tasks.
The C.U.T. 4.0 was designed with professional personnel in mind, but will also make a great EDC for civilians and martial artists who like the diversity of a dual purpose knife.
Bio: Joshua Swanagon has studied survival in both urban and wilderness environments in Colorado and Michigan for most of his life, while also adding experience in harsher terrains abroad. He utilizes his experience and years of diverse martial arts and combatives training and real world application as a self-defense/combatives instructor, published freelance writer and Field Editor for various magazines in the fields of knives, survival, self-defense and tactical subject matters.
|Knife Type||Fixed Blade|
|Blade Steel||1095 RC 56-58|
|Blade Finish||Black Traction Coating|
|Handle Material||Tan Canvas Micarta|
|Handle Style||Dragonfly Tread|
|Weight w/ Sheath||9.0oz|
|Sheath Material||Black Kydex|
|Sheath Clip||Beta Loop|
Customer Reviews (3)
- Black River WashReview by Jan
- I hope this knife will be available with the Black River Wash finish and dark micarta, ill order two when it is. (Posted on 4/7/2017)
- Best of both worldsReview by Michael
- I absolutely love this knife! It has everything you may want in a useful field knife plus is a reliable self defense tool for those who know how to use a karambit. It is well balanced and fits well in the hand. (Posted on 1/14/2017)
- Perfectly ExecutedReview by Jay
- The one knife to do it all......Tops Cut 4.0. EDC, survival, defense. Perfect length, great ergonomics and excellent scout mount sheath! When I do not want to belt mount the Cut it drops right in my front pocket. The loop barely sticks out and does not appear to be a knife. It is quickly accessed and handy. Literally the biggest fixed blade I can realistically carry everyday and not gather dust in my dresser drawer. The Slight curve of the handle shortens the overall length and provides a death grip with a deep choil for finger protection. The blade is very thick, but tapers to a sharp fine edge and is very usable unlike other overbuilt fixed blades on the market. I am thrilled. I hope Tops continues to make this model. I was not paid to write this, but i have wasted money on alot of other fixed blades. BUY IT! you won't regret it. (Posted on 11/29/2016)