Apache Dawn Rockies Edition
A new dawn is here...
Availability: TOPS Dealers
Find A Dealer
The Apache Dawn Rockies Edition is a classic design, but with updated features. Weighing in at just under one pound, this knife has the heft, speed, and length needed to be an excellent all around combat/field knife.
As a field knife, the Apache Dawn is more than capable. The blade is long enough to handle many heavy tasks, but it also has a finger choil so the user can choke up for more controlled cutting. It has a nice belly to the tip, which is great for skinning game. This knife is ready to perform a variety of cutting tasks.
As a combat knife, the Apache Dawn really excels. With the harpoon-style tip and the thin swedge, the spine pushes the blade down as it enters its target, making a wider cut and providing good penetration. The black G10 handles with Rocky Mountain Tread and pronounced finger guard give a solid grip, especially when it’s most crucial.
No matter what the use, the Apache Dawn Rockies Edition is ready for duty.
|Knife Type||Fixed Blade|
|Blade Steel||1095 RC 56-58|
|Blade Finish||Tumble Finish|
|Handle Material||Black G10|
|Handle Style||Rocky Mountain Tread|
|Weight w/ Sheath||21.0oz|
|Sheath Material||Olive Drab MIL-SPEC Nylon|
|Sheath Clip||Molle Backing|
- Smaller and lighter than expected
- This one is really cool because the nylon sheath it comes with is olive drab green instead of the usual black. The black G10 handles with rocky mountain tread are the best part. You also get a cool metal survival whistle with it. (Posted on 6/4/2021)
- combat? survival? Apache dawn get one!
- So this is my second knife from tops i really dig and support this company alot they are amazing the apache dawn is a quick strong and willing to tackle all task thrown at it. Its combat tested and ready to survive the elements with you cleaning big game to fish is a breeze basic camp needs no problem i highly recommend this knife its the perfect balence between combat and survival Get One! (Posted on 4/7/2021)
- It will CHOP! 4 out of 5 stars
Bought the Apache Dawn as a camp, hike, overall big knife to act as a small axe, and knife for food prep....just back from the BWCA...
It does this very well. From Batoning, feather sticking, to spear making, it can handle all the tasks needed to keep the camp going. It also sliced meat, and chopped veggies with ease. I actually felt a bid ridiculous using it for food prep, but it's what I brought it for.
Why 4 stars and not 5:
I batoned about 15 1/4 logs, so maybe 45 good hits into a log. I was pretty bummed at how easy the blade coating was rubbed off... definitely not DLC on the blade.
The sheath is just so-so. I am ok with nylon, but this was not the easiest to put back in as you can miss the plastic insert and cut right into the nylon... NOT COOL! And if I didn't secure it each time, it does not hold in the sheath real solid.
So would I recommend/buy it again?
YES- the knife will do all things choppy, and cutty, just give up any hope on the sheath being great, and it looking oh-so pretty as when it was new.
So buy it, beat the life out of it, and it should last a very very long time! (Posted on 7/6/2020)
- Here's a link to the YouTube test video on this knife, the link is in the review below
The link is above . The Apache Dawn is a tough , all around Knife which in my Opinion would do fine as a survival blade. It's tough , it chops and Batons and will do most camp chores a knife of this size would be capable of doing.
Tops Makes excellent blades indeed!!! (Posted on 3/11/2018)